The Hills Christian Community School at Verdun continues to provide excellent educational opportunities for children of the Adelaide Hills, in a safe and supportive environment. During the School's 30 years of growth, it has continually developed its facilities and programmes, and offers quality education in a caring Christian setting.
Catering for children from the Early Learning Centre to Year 10, the School offers a broad yet balanced educational programme including German, Physical Education, Music/Drama and Computing as specialist lessons with Christian Education sensitively incorporated into all aspects of School life.
The Hills Christian Community School provides a wide range of extra curricula activities including the Tournament of the Minds, performing arts, technology, debating, buddy program, LAP (Learning Assistance Programme), theatre sport and chess club. We provide many opportunities to excel in basketball, volleyball, netball, athletics and swimming as particular focus sports.
HCCS is a 'Low Fee' independent school, commenced and governed by parents of its students. It has no affiliation to any particular church or denomination but enjoys support from the Christian churches in the Adelaide Hills.
Located centrally at Verdun with the Secondary Campus at Oakbank, the School is well served by public transport and provides Out of School Hours and Vacation Care for those who require it.
The School is established and will be run for the purpose of educating children on the basis of the Christian Faith, in accordance with the aims as expressed in the statement of Belief.
The School will seek:
- to operate on Christian principles, with a staff actively committed to the Christian faith, in accordance with the objects, Statement of Belief and Aims as set out in the Constitution
- to develop fully the spiritual, psychological, social, academic, creative and physical potential of each enrolled child
- to foster a co-operative relationship between parents, staff, children and school
- to give recognition and approval to all degrees of improvement and achievement in the pursuit of excellence
- to provide a comprehensive curriculum which includes worship and has a balanced use of Christian themes in all relevant areas and with a Christian emphasis in all studies
- to accept the common elements of the Christian faith while accepting the diversity of belief and interpretation, and avoiding any denominational doctrine or emphasis
- to be open, so far as its resources shall permit, to children of the community provided that their parents support the aims and objectives of the School
- to promote and facilitate beneficial relationships between child, family, staff, churches and the wider community.
STATEMENT OF BELIEF
We believe that the teachings of Christ are the foundations upon which our attitudes and actions should rest.
The following Statement of Belief has been adopted as the School's Foundational Creed:
- we believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God
- we believe that there is one God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- we accept that Jesus Christ is central in our School and therefore that everything that is done, including the learning, at School or in the School's name, should be done to honour Him
- we believe in the sovereignty of God in creation, providence, revelation, redemption and final judgement
- we believe that all mankind was created in the image of God but that man estranged himself from God and his neighbour by disobeying God's Word and that reconciliation is only possible through the love of God and the sacrifice which Christ made on our behalf
- we believe in the ministry of the Holy Spirit who enables us to live a Godly life
- we believe in the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ
- we believe that all Christians are united in the Body of the Lord Jesus Christ.
VISION AND MISSION
Our vision is for 'A Christian school community, helping children learn and grow to achieve their potential'.
Our mission is to help children learn and grow to achieve their potential through:
- acknowledging that Jesus Christ and his teachings are central to the purposes of this school
- assisting each student to discover and develop their strengths and gifts
- developing a caring school community which respects diversity and values fellowship
- assisting students in developing a personal understanding and application of the Christian faith
- providing a foundation upon which students can develop discernment, wisdom and leadership qualities
- preparing students for on-going learning and fulfilling lives in a world of rapid change
- fostering in students the development of positive relationships and interpersonal skills
- valuing each student and their gifts and contribution.
HCCS is affiliated with the Association of Independent Schools SA (AISSA) which provides funding, industrial and operating advice to South Australian independent schools. Visit their website at www.ais.sa.edu.au.
©2009 The Hills Christian Community School Inc
PO Box 120, Verdun, South Australia 5245
T: 08 8388 7811