Learning is not only limited to our classrooms…
The students at The Hills Christian Community School enjoy a rich Student Life whether they are in the Early Learning Centre, Primary School, Year 7 Centre or Secondary. Within our School life we encourage all aspects of growth and strive to provide students with experiences in leadership, well-being, extra and co-curricular activities that promote and support their passions, strengths and interests. Learning outside the classroom enhances the core Australian Curriculum offering.
Families regularly comment to the School about the strong engagement and valuable life opportunities experienced by their children as part of the daily offering of the School.
Student Life Snapshots:
- The HILLS Early Learning Centre (ELC) is engaging children so beautifully in their pre-school / kindergarten learning programme that they commence ‘big school’ by walking ‘down the hill’ with smiles and confidence. The smooth transition from the ELC to Reception is helped because ELC students already access the Hall for specialist Physical Education lessons, the Library for borrowing books each week, playgrounds and receive visits from Primary School staff and students. They even have a big buddy who visits!
- Christian faith is ‘the fabric of HILLS’ and is expressed in the way children are respected as unique and precious and with all relationships within the School community. Our whole school Monday Devotions involving guest speakers from Adelaide Hills Churches, devotions in classrooms, celebrations like Easter Week, daily staff Devotions, supporting charities and employing Christian teachers are some of the ways that faith is experienced and shared at HILLS.
- The role of the HILLS Counsellor, Chaplain and Director of Wellbeing in assisting teachers and families with wide ranging issues and particularly with children’s social skills and wellbeing.
- An extensive excursion, incursion (visitors to School) and camping programme which includes:
- a sleepover for Year 2 students
- Year 3 adventure to Mylor
- a seaside Year 4 Camp at Victor Harbor
- Year 5 Camp to Illawonga, near Walker’s Flat, with a focus on the River Murray
- Year 6 students camping at Wirraway Homestead in Strathalbyn
- a week in Canberra for our Year 7 students to understand the nation’s capital
- Year 8 Tasmanian Wilderness and Service Experience
- Year 9 students making a difference in Adelaide learning about, and meeting the needs of, the underprivileged of Adelaide
- Year 10 Camp at Kangaroo Island
- Instrumental lessons are available to individuals on a private basis with opportunities leading to joining the Choir or our strong Band & Ensemble programme.
- Opportunities to practise skills learned in Physical Education lessons are gained through accessing interschool competitions with the South Australian Primary School Sports Association (SAPSASA)and the South Australian Christian Schools Association (SACSA). In recent years, we have been State Champions at various year levels in volleyball, basketball, netball and touch football.
- HILLSS also enters many basketball and netball teams in local competitions and encourages its students to play for local teams in other sports. Tennis is also offered as a family funded option during school time.
- Extensive student leadership opportunities especially during a focused programme in Year 7. The positions of class Student Representative and House Leader are highly regarded and eagerly sought.