HCCS opened in February, 1983, in the former Verdun Primary School premises situated on Onkaparinga Valley Road, Verdun. The School has grown in enrolment from modest numbers to an enrolment of over 540 including the Early Learning Centre, a separate Year 7 Centre and a Secondary School.
It is an non-denominational School which was established by parents who desired a good standard of education for their children in a caring, disciplined environment, where Christian values and principles were actively supported and nurtured.
HCCS has no formal links to any particular Church or denomination but maintains close informal links with all local Christian Churches. The School is open (as far as its resources shall permit) to all students regardless of their parents’ economic status and Church affiliation, provided that the parents can genuinely support the Aims of the School.
During the last 10 years, the Primary School at Verdun has been significantly developed. The facilities/resources improvement include:
- extension and refurbishment of the Library
- a renovated ICT Suite with new computers
- opening of a purpose built long day care Early learning Centre (ELC) for 3 1/2 to 5 year old pre schoolers
- the construction of a Multi-Purpose Hall, which incorporates a full size basketball court, extensive kitchen, Performing Arts classroom and three instrumental music rooms
- four new classrooms across Sandow Lane which accommodates two Year 5 and two Year 6 classes
- purchasing the adjoining 9 acre property which includes Onkaparinga River frontage, 5 undeveloped acres across the river, a historic house and a 100 year old apple orchard for our students and staff enjoy . ‘Owning’ the river has encouraged a greater focus on the environment, while the 4 acres near the School has enabled a strong focus on Nature Play.
- The historic house has been renovated and refurbished to provide a wonderful, engaging and exciting learning space for the Year 7 students. The Year 7 Centre – RIVERMONT is delivering an innovative teaching and learning program which includes an exciting garden to kitchen program. The students agree that it is a great space and a privilege to work in!
- a modern and comprehensive extension to the HCCS Administration building opened in 2014
- children’s and school gardens, chook sheds, an archeological dig, extensive planting on Rivermont, a natural playground, renovated playgrounds, refurbished Out of School Hours Care space, a new car park and so much more.
In January 2013, HCCS commenced a Secondary School at Oakbank with a Year 8 class. In 2014 and successvive years, there was over 20 new Year 8 students enrolled. In 2017 we currently have about 90 students in our Year 8 – 12 High School.
From its humble beginnings, HCCS has grown into an ELC to Year 12 ‘one stop’ school on two campuses with over 80 full and part time staff.